- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 beaten egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 6 cups fresh cut rhubarb
- One 3-ounce package of strawberry Jell-O® (dry mix)
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Mix shortening, flour, baking powder and brown sugar as for pie crust. Then add the beaten egg and milk. Mix together and spread in the bottom and up the sides of a 9 by 13 inch cake pan. Top with the rhubarb. Then sprinkle the dry Jell-O on top.
Mix topping ingredients together and sprinkle the mixture over everything. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 50 minutes. Delicious—a little bit goes a long way!
Variations: Different flavors of Jell-O® will work in this recipe.