Oct. 23, 1988 — Serves 5
This is an original; I compared half a dozen recipes and finally arrived at this one by trial and error (there were plenty of errors).
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 - 4 ounce can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- Spaghetti Sauce (see below)
- 1 pound uncooked spaghetti noodles
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Brown ground beef with onion and mushrooms. Drain. Add sauce and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
Prepare noodles according to package directions. Toss with 3 tablespoons butter. Serve meat sauce over cooked noodles. Pass Parmesan cheese.
- 2 - 6 ounce cans tomato paste
- 3 cans (2 cups) water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons basil (leaf)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons oregano (leaf)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 bay leaf
Combine tomato paste, water, honey, salt and seasonings; add bay leaf. Prepare as directed in Spaghetti recipe above. Makes 3-1/2 cups sauce.